Singapore Microbrands: Insights From Zelos Founder, Elshan TangWritten by Melissa Kong
“Many customers prefer the safer route of a larger brand name.”
In our new series of interviews with Singapore microbrand owners, we ask them to tell us about the challenges and misconceptions associated with running a watch microbrand. Here, Elshan Tang of Zelos talks about pushing boundaries.
The most common misconception about microbrands is people tend to think quality or service is lacking, but this couldn’t be further from the truth!
Microbrands offer a great combination of unique designs, good value and personalised service that watch lovers would find difficult to get from the larger brands.
The Zelos Helmsman 2
It’s an uphill battle to educate the local market about the merits of watch microbrands. Although Singapore has a small—albeit growing—market, many customers prefer the safer route of a larger brand name.
Numbers don’t define us. The definition of a microbrand is pretty grey, but I feel the buying experience of being able to communicate directly to the founders are a huge aspect of it.
I want to push boundaries. When it comes to Zelos, I hope to continue producing watches that I love, as well as push the boundaries for what’s being offered in this price segment.
Like most people these days, Melissa tells the time with her phone. She considers serious timepieces works of art and thinks the perpetual calendar is the handiest complication to date (pun not intended). She's also a Grammar Nazi but promises not to judge if you can't tell the difference between "guilloche" and "guillotine".
Latest from Melissa Kong
- Hu Bing: Corum’s Global Brand Ambassador On Watches And Time
- Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Grande Tradition Repetition Minutes Perpetuelle: Singapore Price And Review
- Rolex Submariners Set World Records At Geneva Watch Auction: NINE
- Montblanc 1858 Split Second Chronograph Limited Edition 100: Singapore Price And Review
- A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar '25th Anniversary': Review And Specs